Sunday, August 31, 2014

Week 2: Famous Last Words

Castle Source

This week I wrote kind of in the style of a classic fairy tale, like Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. Halfway through, I realized I wasn’t a huge fan of that style for myself. I know now not to waste my time trying to force my way through writing the story in that style.

I looked at a few more past storybooks, too. Few of those follow a traditional storytelling format. One was modeled after Rate My Professor, one was in interview format, and another was in the style of a mystery novel. I should try out some of these writing styles and think of some others to try, too. Maybe I’ll find one that I really like.

I washed all of my baby clothes this week. I only have five weeks until my due date now! I’ve been helping get stuff together for my baby showers this coming month. Sometime this coming week I plan on setting up my crib and packing my hospital bag. Everything is getting so close! I’m taking developmental psychology this semester and this week we learned about prenatal development. Basically the whole chapter I was thinking to myself, “Yup. Mhm. Duh. I’ve known this for the past seven months; why am I reading it again?”

I got halfway through Marketing only to find out that the next due date is next Sunday, not today. That was a bit disappointing that I wasted that time working on something that wasn’t as urgent as other things.

This week at work we got a new manager and several people quit. I get more hours now, but that might be a bad thing as now I’m scrambling to get all of my stuff done before midnight tonight. I’ll need to get better at planning when I am going to do things.

Next week will hopefully be better.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Gretchen! How exciting that you are expecting! I can only imagine how excited you are. I wish you the best of luck with everything. Try not to stress out too much, it's not good for you or the baby. Pertaining to Marketing, at least you don't have to worry about that assignment later. I as well need to work on my time-management and planning skills. Sometimes it's easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you seem to be having some stress about work and school conflicts, but it is so exciting to be expecting a child! Are you just so ready to have the baby out and in your arms? I've heard the last trimester is the worst. You are really incredible- a lot of people would not be able to juggle class, work, and a baby on the way. That's just a lot for anyone to handle! Good luck with everything and try to look up! You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations again on your pregnancy! I'm sure it's hard to believe that in a few weeks, you'll be holding your child in your arms for the first time; that's unbelievable!

    As far as your classes, it seems like you have things pretty well under control, even if you are falling a little behind on work. I feel like it's just that time in the semester, where everyone gets a little complacent and overworked and due dates start to slip by the wayside.

    Also, it is extremely impressive that you are managing to keep up with school and work while planning for the arrival of your newborn. You are truly inspiring! Good luck, and keep on keeping on, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gretchen. I'm sorry that you had trouble writing in the style that you chose. Hopefully you'll find a style that works better for you next week. It's really exciting that you're due in 5 weeks. My girlfriend's sister is due in about 8 weeks and we're all counting down the days. I can't imagine how suspenseful/exciting it must be for you. I can also relate to your marketing disappointment. A few weeks ago, I was rushing to finish the internet assignment for this class, only to realize that I was doing the wrong week's assignment. It ended up paying off the next week, when I didn't have to worry about an internet assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well since this is Week 9 now and you said you had 5 weeks till you were due in Week 2, I hope that everything went well and that your delivery was smooth! Good luck to you with everything and I hope that it all works out okay. Time management really is the key to everything and I literally just realized that last week regarding this class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you are having a baby!!!!!!!! That is so awesome. As a father I can tell you that all the things people tell you are true, but none of them do it justice because it is like trying to describe the color of air. Yes kids are a lot of work but when you look back at, you won't remember how hard it was but rather you will remember how much fun you had and how you enjoyed every moment and wished they never got bigger. My son is 11 now and I can still tell you how it felt to hold him as a baby on my chest while he sleeps. It is something you will never forget but it goes by so fast. I was looking at him in the car this weekend and thought to my self "Where did the time go" so enjoy every moment. I could blab on about parenthood for days but I am sure you are tired of hearing about it from other people and are ready to experience it for your self. So I will end by saying that I hope everything goes as planned as far as your due date, and I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete