Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 1 Indian Epics

I am not very familiar with any of the stories or characters in the Ramayana or Mahabharata. They weren't really stories that were told to me while I was growing up.

I expect to learn more about these stories and maybe get to know some characters quite well. I fear I'll have trouble keeping the characters straight. Also, now it's a bit confusing to me which people are gods/goddesses, humans, and other creatures.

I watched all of Sita Sings the Blues so now I have some idea of what's going on. I know that the movie doesn't cover the whole story by far. I read chapter 1 in Narayan's Ramayana and realized very quickly that there are several little stories in the bigger story that may be hard to keep track of. The movie also seemed to start after the book did because I don't think Sita has been introduced yet.

As we go through the class, I'll be reading the stories to my daughter. Hopefully they will comfort her somewhat once she's born and as she grows up.

Whatever happens, I know I'll learn something from this course (I already have). Even if I only learn the general plot of these two stories, I'll know more than what I came in with.

No comments:

Post a Comment